Capital, comprehensive and endowment campaigns - including feasibility studies and strategic counsel
VPG’s campaign feasibility and planning services provide the client with a true assessment of the philanthropy program, the culture of philanthropy to support a campaign, and a plan tailored to your organization’s contemplated campaign. We evaluate the institution's readiness to successfully embark upon a campaign, including the readiness and commitment of the board and other leadership, lead volunteers, and the donors. The study culminates in a campaign plan or a plan to get ready for a campaign. The campaign plan provides findings, recommendations, and a detailed action plan, including:
· Your philanthropic culture
· The strengths of your organization
· The philanthropy staff structure and strengths
· The executive staff’s competencies in philanthropy
· The strength and readiness of the board to participate in a
· A campaign leader
· The readiness of the volunteers
· The resonance of the case for support
· A realistic but stretch goal
· The strengths and weaknesses of the major donor pipeline
· The philanthropic landscape and competition
· Staffing recommendations
· A timeline
· A campaign budget
We conduct the feasibility study and prepare the campaign plan through rigorous review of your data and most importantly through a thorough interview process with your internal and external constituents, donors and community leaders. Our confidential, in-person interviews occur privately with a VPG consultant. We use open ended questions rather than survey questions that explore the nuances of a donor's relationship to the organization.
VPG will assess the readiness of the organization and donors to lead and participate in a campaign. We address deficiencies and provide an action plan for improvement, if we determine that the organization is not ready to embark upon a campaign.
Ultimately, our goal is to not only help you mount a successful campaign, it is to also give you the tools to create a high performing philanthropy program.
Wealth Screening and Prospect Research
If deemed necessary, we will also work with you to conduct a wealth screen of your database and the region. Wealth screening is a one important tool to help you identify capacity in your donor pool and find individuals who are capable of making major gifts to the campaign. VPG partners with the client to engage a wealth screen vendor to screen prospects. We have significant expertise in grateful patient screening process and the identification and cultivation of major donors in the hospital setting. VPG staff can train you in how to use this data to assure success in your cultivation and asking of donors. Our prospect analytic services can help analyze publicly available sources to provide a profile on the individual’s capacity, interests, and possible connections to your organization.
Fees: The campaign assessment, feasibility study and plan are provided through a fixed fee. A separate fee is determined for prospect analytics and research.
Campaign Strategic Counsel
We provide strategic counseling once the plan is complete. We advise your management and volunteer leadership on all aspects of the campaign. The goal of strategic counsel is to partner with our clients in the successful execution of their campaign and to create truly meaningful philanthropy for your organization. We want to move your philanthropy to the next level of impact.
Typically, the VPG team members conduct bi-weekly campaign counsel meetings with development leadership and other institutional leaders as needed. Strategic counsel typically includes, but is not limited to, the following:
· Creating effective partnerships with your staff, institutional leaders and volunteers for the campaign
· Consult on major gift strategies, timing and solicitation counsel
· Coaching in donor cultivation and conversations
· Counsel on lead solicitations
· Implementation of Leadership Briefings
· Convening the Campaign Committee or leadership group
· Counsel on donor issues
· Counsel on other related fundraising issues
· Planning for and attendance at campaign leadership meetings
· Counsel on cultivation planning
· Volunteer and staff coaching. Please refer to Bold Asking™.
· Guidance in the creation of the campaign naming opportunities
· Production of materials to support your campaign case for support and related collaterals, and messaging, including the case statement, website, digital and social media to support the campaign, and a campaign video if needed.
Fees: Campaign counsel is typically provided by an established number of days per month that the consultants are available and scheduled to work with the client. Typically, the engagement is rendered on a retainer basis.